Village of East Rochester

Welcome to the Village of East Rochester!

“Home of the Champions”


East Rochester was originally called Despatch because of its proximity to the railroad. The word came from the name of the first major company to locate here, the Merchants Despatch Transportation Company, most often referred to as the Carshops. It was a planned Village with the streets running north and south named after presidents and the streets running east and west named after trees. By 1906, the Village had outgrown its carshops-based name, and the villagers voted to rename Despatch to the more readily identifiable East Rochester. The Village grew rapidly in the first half of the century and, at its height, had a population of over 9,500 people. It has a particular claim to fame in that it is the only village of its size in the USA without a cemetery. The 1970s and 1980s saw great changes in the East Rochester community. The Village withdrew from the towns of Pittsford and Perinton and formed the Town/Village of East Rochester, one of three co-terminus communities in New York State.

East Rochester has always been known as the “HOME OF CHAMPIONS”, not only for the many national sports awards, but for the caring, community-involved people who make the Village so special.


Useful Area Websites:

East Rochester School District:


Youth Activity Center:

Senior Center:

Parks & Recreation:

Local Businesses:

Town News:



Urgent Care Centers:

Immediate Care East                                                      Eastside Medical Urgent Care                     

(585) 398-1275                                                                     (585)388-5280

1600 Moseley Rd. (Route 250)                                          2226 Penfield Rd. (Route 441)

Victor, NY 14564                                                                  Penfield, NY 14526